Friday 25 December 2015

My Cycling Expedition to Karavali. 670km, 3 friends, 5 days! : Returning Home !


The time had come for our return. We started from Saligrama and had to reach Sullia before dark. We had left very early and by afternoon where in Mangalore. There was a cycling marathon going on in Mangalore. The organizers where annoyed at us as we where in the wrong direction of their trail. Two of them approached us wanting to know what was wrong with us. We humbly narrated our story and said we had nothing to do with the Marathon. None believed our version. They contemplated that we were backing of their event. The more we tried to convince them about our long sojourn the more they disbelieved!
 
And soon we felt we were welcomed by the Western Ghats.  The huge forest and their great canopies became closer and closer. We had stopped on the tributary of river Netravati and relaxed getting into the cool water. As scheduled we were in Sullia before dark and spent our night at Dr. Sunder’s house.

Reaching Madikeri was the toughest of all. Earlier we had taken four hours to descend from Madikeri and now to climb up we thought we needed a whole day. It was just 55km but the elevation was sickening. Most of the distance had to be covered on foot with the big hard sun draining all our energies. ‘Even the buses struggle in their first gear’ a local in a tea shop said. Every inch of the road made me count while climbing up. By afternoon we were in Madikeri and had decided to spend the evening there roaming the streets and chilling out. We spent the night in a lodge and just a last stretch remained.
 
The final stretch to my home is something which I wouldn’t forget. We had to deal with a tyre puncture, though it wasn’t a big disaster it was a part of adventure and we were well equipped. It just killed our time and slowed us down. After 5 days of continuous cycling for 14-16 hrs a day we had gained enough stamina and confidence. Hence we were determined to reach home for lunch. The last 15km is something which I wouldn’t ever forget. All I had was 200ml of water and 7 bucks in my pocket. I was alone from there. I know I could I have borrowed some but I don’t know why I didn’t.
 
Throughout the journey I had plenty of time to talk to myself. What else can you expect when you are cycling continuously for 15hrs? This made me heal some of the wounds of my soul , I had to think of many things like about my parents, friends, work , what I had been doing all these years and I remember asking my mother whether she had ever imagined if her son one day will be heading to the sea with only his bicycle!
There were a few situations where I had lost all the strength, laying by the road taking deep breaths. At a few more instances I was stunned by a shear miss of a hit by a car and a truck on another occasion. It took a few breaths to recover from the shock.
 

What I enjoyed the most was the down hill ride from Madikeri, food at Karavali and Dakshina Kannada, interviews with locals. The best out of all was thinking and thinking for hours while peddling. There are many people who had inspired me to this; the credit even goes to the some of the movies I have seen, books I have read. I had gained immense strength and I have no idea why I get a different appearance of the roads these days. The day after reaching home I laughed at my self looking into the mirror and saying no one can even guess looking at my face that I had an amazing adventure over the last week.







- Sangamesh

5 comments:

  1. Couldn't be more proud of u guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. your adventures experience makes me want to buy a cycle.. Well Written

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way u guys lead your life disgust's mine!! I envy u guys!! Even then hats off bro!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way u guys lead your life disgust's mine!! I envy u guys!! Even then hats off bro!:-)

    ReplyDelete