Friday 11 December 2015

Celebrating outdoor learning at the Museum

Students viewing the gallery

Field visits play a very important role in students’ learning. I had an opportunity to take the class 9 students for an outing to RMNH, Mysuru on 9th and 10th December 2015. Though I do not teach that class in this academic year, I felt happy to take biology cum life skill class for them in the outdoors. The time I spent with them was precious.
I have been working with RMNH for environmental education since sometime, hence I feel at home in the campus. Whenever I take the students there, I make sure that I inform them well in advance. This time too I did so. But the things were different this time! RMNH Mysuru has a new H.O. As soon as we arrived at the museum on the first day, we were greeted by the educational staff, Mrs. Mujeeba Khanum. When I requested her to address our students she offered me a pleasant surprise! The H.O would talk to the students.
Dr. Indiresh interacting with the students after the presentation

I ushered my students to the auditorium and found that The H.O, scientist in charge, Dr. Indiresha G M too entered with us. He introduced his staff and the museum to students and took an interesting, interactive and informative session as well. His session was full of liveliness and students not only enjoyed it, they were impressed and inspired by his humorous presentation.

The grand awareness programme
The following day I was back in the museum with another set of students. In fact there was more offer! The H.O had brought his entire contingent of staff to the auditorium as though there was some grand celebration at the museum.  Dr. Yogendra and Dr. Omkar Nayak spoke to the students and briefed up the activities carried out by their institution and the role of Museums in environmental education. Dr. Indiresh gave a wonderful talk on biodiversity supplemented with a power point presentation. I presented a documentary on migration of the salmon fish and discussed about the survival skills of the fish and the grizzly bear with the students. The auditorium was packed with the scientists and staff of RMNH throughout the sessions.
The joyful lunch together

Making of fish!

On the lawns of the museum, we did have a picnic and shared our lunch boxes. Soon I engaged the children in some Nature games. They were designed to impart values and life skills. Some enhanced awareness about the environment among the students. In fact the class that came on the second day was rather noted for its notorious pranks in the class and held a tainted repute amidst the other staff. They were never unruly or difficult in handling during the entire day. When it came to write a feedback report on the visit, every student had a wholehearted praise for the museum.

I too thank the museum for providing us such a wonderful support and cooperation. It’s an overwhelming joy for a biology teacher like me who has made small efforts to associate with the museum in the recent years.
Fish in hand

The action!

Discussing the dynamics of the game

Geetha H
PGT in Biology
Amrita Vidyalayam, Mysuru 

No comments:

Post a Comment